What Do You Need To Know About Oncology?
Cancer is one of the most deadly disease that one can be diagnosed with. Inspite of the huge progress of medical science in the last decade, there has been no effective medicine that can cure cancer completely without any side effects. Oncology is the branch of medical science that identifies, treats and researches cancer. A specialist doctor who works in this particular field is known as the Oncologist. These doctors first diagnose the cancer that is carried out with the help of different high-end methods like Biopsy, X-ray, CT scanning, MRI, PET scanning, Ultrasound, Endoscopy or any other kind of radiological method. Many a times, nuclear medicine or tumor markers are also used in order to diagnose cancer. Oncology is very often linked with hematology that is the branch of medicine dealing with blood related issues. In recent times, there have been several Oncology Marketing Services in the market. In today’s blog we are going to discuss more about it.
Treatment Related Information in Oncology
Once the Oncologist is done with the diagnosis, the doctor will discuss with the patient at which stage the cancer is currently in. It is very important to identify the current stage of the disorder in order to dictate the right treatment. Chemotherapy is one of the most popular and desired way in which cancer is cured. It leads to the destruction of the cancer cells. Radiation therapy is also popularly used. Advanced surgical methods have been designed in order to treat and remove tumors. Hormone therapy and monoclonal antibody method of treatment are also gaining popularity when it comes to treating cancer in many people. Depending on the severity, category, kind, and stage of the cancer, the effective treatment is decided upon.
Treatment Team in Oncology
Combating cancer is often carried out in a team effort with atleast two types of Oncologists which includes surgical, radiation or medical specialists. An Oncology treatment team might also include a pathologist, oncology nurse and a diagnostic radiologist as well. In case of a very difficult-to-treat or unique case of cancer, the Oncology team might consult a tumor board. This board consists of highly experienced and knowledgeable medical experts from different relevant fields. The tumor board reviews the case and usually recommends what is the best way in which the current problem can be treated.
Different Types of Oncologists
Oncology is a really extensive branch of medical science and that is why there are different aspects that needs to be dealt within it. There are different types of Oncologists present like –
- Medical oncologists treats the cancer with the help of chemotherapy or other methods like immunotherapy.
- Surgical oncologists remove the tumor and the surrounding tissues using surgical methods. The doctor will also perform various biopsies to diagnose the cancer.
- Radiation oncologists treat different categories and kinds of cancer with the help of radiation therapy.
- Gynecologic oncologists are those who treat gynecology related cancers like the uterine, ovarian, and cervical cancers.
- Pediatric oncologists treat cancer that is usually diagnosed in children and these disorders include brain tumors, leukemia, osteosarcoma, and Ewing’s sarcoma
- A hematologist-oncologist is the one who diagnoses and treat blood cancers, such as leukemia, lymphoma, & myeloma.
Role Of An Oncologist
Any kind of oncologist manages the patient’s care throughout the duration of the treatment procedure. This starts from the very beginning with the diagnosis. Role of an oncologist are –
- Explaining the problem that the patient has been diagnosed with – the kind of cancer, stage of the disease, location of the tumor, and various other information.
- To talk about all the possible options that are available in order to provide the patient with top treatment.
- It is role of the Oncologist to always offer quality and compassionate care to the patient at all times without fail.
- To help the patient to get over the symptoms and other side effects of the deadly disease over the course of time.
So, these are some important things you need to know about Oncology, that will help you to understand this branch of medicine better. Oncology is one of the most important sector in the entire medical science and with every passing year, it is growing more crucial than ever.